Many of the songs on the playlist can be heard in any of THE PIGS or on Robin Hutson’s stereo and aim to keep spirits up for anyone who feels isolated. The first seven song titles of the playlist are all a nod to the current situation we find ourselves in from Reasons to be cheerful by The Blockheads to I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free by Nina Simone plus How Long by Paul Carrack and Waiting in Vain by Bob Marley.
It not only features PIG classics but also previous Smoked & Uncut festival headliners such as Sister Sledge, The Vaccines, Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight, plus some of the bands who were back year after year by popular demand - CC Smugglers, Jake Isaac, Stevie Appleton and Noisettes.
‘There’s really no great mystery when it comes to compiling great summer party tunes – you just have to combine a few key ingredients…’ With a bit more time on our hands these days we can’t think of a more uplifting thing to do than to revisit some of our favourite hits and pull them together for our friends and family to enjoy. Here are Johnny and Meadows tips for creating a failsafe party playlist:
- Don’t get too clever, a heavy dose of hits is essential
- Try to include the odd surprise in the overall mix, a lesser known album track by a big artist
- Work your genres. Start in a genre and transition subtly through to another
- One song per artist – this stops it feeling too samey
- It’s not all about you – plenty of variety is the key to everyone having a brilliant time